Background

Friday, May 25, 2012

My Baby Sister

Tonight, my little sister graduates from high school.  HIGH SCHOOL.  I simply cannot believe it!  18 years ago she came in to our lives whether we liked it or not!  (I was NOT happy about this because she was replacing me as the baby of our family, a spot I very much loved!) 

 Although she was one of the cutest little kids I know, I wanted nothing to do with her.  She took my spot and we were not friends.  We were sisters but nothing more.  I simply didn't like her.
 But as we got older, she grew on me.  We began playing together.  And sometimes having fun.  She learned very quickly and was by far one of the smartest little kids I knew.  She always had something witty to say.  I distinctly remember her about the age of the picture below and we were out to dinner.  The waitress came to take our order and my mom was getting ready to order Katie's food.  But Katie jumped in and ordered her own food.  It was pretty cute:)

 Katie began to be interested in things much different than Ang and I.  She was in dance class as a little girl.  She played soccer.  Then gymnastics.  Then volleyball.  Then cheerleading.  Ang and I were into volleyball, softball, and basketball.  And we did do cheerleading for a little while.  But we weren't nearly as talented as Katie.
 One of my favorite memories of Katie would have to be the day I sucked her hair up in a sweeper.  Yes.  I did.  She was laying on the floor, and I was trying to vacuum.  So I was teasing her by acting like I was going to sweep her up.  She hated it.  It made me giggle.  Until I actually did sweep her up.  Yep.  A huge chunk of hair got sucked up in to the sweeper.  She cried.  I got in BIG trouble.  I think it was a turning point for us:)
 I never imagined Katie and I sharing the same interests but as we grew older, we started to like the same things.  Now, she knows me better than I know myself sometimes.
 She has grown in to a phenomenal person and a talented cheerleader.  She has worked very hard at her tumbling, overcoming broken bones and her biggest fears.  I'm proud to say that she cheered in grade school, all 4 years of high school, and will be cheering next year at Ball State.  The first of us 3 to do any sport at the collegiate level.  Again, *SO* proud of her.
 Us 3 have come a long way over the years.  We still fight like sisters, but we know deep down that no matter what happens in life, who comes and goes, we will always have each other.  We are sisters by chance, friends by choice:)  Katie's famous in our family for always saying "I love you" before leaving the house or going to bed.  And making sure we all say it back to her!  And making sure we give 'real hugs':)  And her OCD-ness:)
 This girl also loves to dance.  I love Katie's sense of humor and her willingness to always act silly.  She knows how to keep things light and not serious.  Actually, she can't be serious.  It is funny to see her try to be serious.
 Katie is one of the smartest people I know.  She has learned how to be an excellent student while in high school.  Her grades have not always reflected how smart she actually is.  She has proven herself over the last few years and shown that she can do well in school.  Even making the honor roll the last few semesters:)  I am so proud of her!
 So basically, what I'm saying is that Katie is an awesome person.  And I'm proud to call her my sister.  But even more proud to call her my friend.  Love you, Katie Bug, and can't wait to see you graduate tonight!!!  You should be proud of yourself and your accomplishments.  MUAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment